The International Political Sociology Section (IPS) of the International Studies Association will institute a yearly award for “best book” in the field of international political sociology.
Recipients must meet the Following Criteria
- Recipients must be a current member of ISA
- Single- and multi-authored monographs published (i.e., with copyright dates) in the previous two calendar years are eligible for the award.
- Textbooks, edited collections and memoirs, as well as later editions and translations of previously published works, will not be considered.
- Books have to be published in an English-language edition to be considered.
- Works written by, or contributed to, Selection Committee members are ineligible for the award. Any member of the committee, excepting the Chair, may refuse to serve in order to make such a work eligible.The Chair will be responsible for selecting a suitable replacement.
- The award will be presented at the section’s business meeting at the ISA Annual Convention.
- The winner will receive a prize of $300 and a plaque.
- The winner of the award will be selected for its outstanding contribution to international political sociology, whether in the form of theoretical development, empirical analysis, or both.
- The Selection Committee should feel free to recommend that no award should be made in a given year. If at all possible, the Selection Committee should choose the winning submission and notable papers by consensus. If the Selection committee is unable to reach a consensus, a majority vote will determine the winning submission and notable papers.
- The Chair of the Selection Committee must forward to the Executive Committee a recommendation for the Book Prize Winner, as well as up to three notable books, including a 100 words citation for each book, at least a month before the ISA annual meeting when the prize winner will be announced. These results will be published on the International Political Sociology Section website.
- The External Selection Committee member will serve for two years. The Chair of the Committee and the two members of the Executive Committee part of the Selection Committee will serve for one year. The Chair is responsible for coordinating the deliberations of the committee, keeping records of the deliberations, and awarding the prize at the International Studies Association Meeting.
Apply or Nominate for the Award
- To nominate a book, hard copies must be sent to all members of the committee (see below).
- Other nominations of books will also be considered. If a nomination does not come from an author or a publisher, the nominators will contact the publisher and/or author to ask for three copies to be sent to the Chair of the Selection Committee.
- If the publisher and/or author does not send copies of the book, the book will not be eligible for consideration.
- Books must be received by 15 September of the year preceding the convention; copies will not be returned.